BICSI-IN250: BICSI Installer-2 Optical Fiber
This course sets the groundwork for optical fiber-based structured cabling system installation. The course will open with an overview of professionalism, fiber transmission principles and the general safety practices related to optical fiber cabling. A significant amount of course time will then be spent on installation, splicing, termination and testing of optical fiber cable.
This class takes place over a period of 4.5 days and 5.5 days for students planning to take the exam to earn the Installer-2 Optical Fiber (INSTF) credential.
This course offers multiple opportunities for hands-on practice. Activities include learning to:
- Install a cleave-and-crimp-style optical fiber connector
- Install a scribe-and-polish-style optical fiber connector
- Perform a fusion splice
- Perform a mechanical splice
- Test an optical fiber link
- Evaluate an optical time domain reflectometer (OTDR) trace
Who Should Attend?
- ICT installers with at least two years of verifiable cabling experience
- Anyone who wishes to expand their knowledge of the industry, learn new (optical fiber) skills and continue to advance professionally
- Level-2, Copper Installers seeking the Installer-2, Optical Fiber (INSTF) credential
- Individuals planning to sit for the BICSI Installer-2, Optical Fiber (INSTF) exam
What’s In It For Me?
As optical fiber systems become more common, your need to be recognized for your knowledge and expertise of emerging installation practices.
Pre-requisites / Preparation
BICSI recommends that all students who take this class have at least two years of current ICT industry installation experience within the last five years. For all individuals who plan to take the exam after the class, this two years of experience is a requirement for the exam, not a recommendation. Because the skills in this course build on the basic skills and knowledge that an installer is likely to acquire during the first two years on the job, students will be expected to have basic knowledge of optical fiber cabling media and to know how to perform entry-level cable installation tasks prior to enrolling in this class.
If you feel that you may not be fully prepared for this course, BICSI recommends that you complete the IN101: Installer-1 and/or IN225: Installer-2, Copper Training courses prior to attending this class. IN101 covers the basic cable installation concepts and skills that will help you to succeed in the Installer 2, Optical Fiber Cable class.
In addition, BICSI strongly recommends reading the ITSIMM before coming to class and/or taking the exam. For students who plan to take the exam, BICSI recommends that examinees spend at least 50 hours studying the ITSIMM. Order the ITSIMM online at bicsi.org/publications.
Required / Encouraged materials needed for class
Students must bring the Information Technology Systems Installation Methods Manual (ITSIMM) to class (hard copy and/or electric) and a laptop or mobile device. Please reference the course confirmation letter as to which edition is appropriate. The manual is not included in the course fee. Personal or prescription safety glasses are also recommended.
Other Knowledge & Skills
Participants must be able to:
- Distinguish between different colors
- Possess manual dexterity to complete fine motor tasks
- Stand for extended periods of time (e.g. 30 minutes)
- Climb ladders
- Lift and carry items weighing ~22.7 kg (50 lb)